Naturally, there's a blog out there keeping an eye on the papabile: "Dedicated to the discussion of the possible successors of our Holy Father, John Paul II. Papabile: (pay-pah-bee-lay), n., one who is considered a possible candidate to be Pope."
If you want to bet on the next pope, you can look here the current odds are:
- Francis Arinze (Nigeria) 11-4
- Dionigi Tettamanzi (Italy) 11-4
- Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga (Honduras) 9-2
- Joseph Ratzinger (Germany) 7 - 1
- Claudio Hummes (Brazil) 7-1
If you really want to bet (I sure wouldn't), keep in mind the The Pignedoli Principle when reading the newspapers.
And, since you can't tell a player without a scorecard, here's a good place to look for the current information on who's who.
Last, don't forget about the prophecy of St. Malachy.
Thumbnail bios from the National Catholic Reporter...